Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Importance of doing what you love.



A little back story:
When I was young, I was told on numerous occasions that I was a very good writer.

I had a very hard time believing that because I am dyslexic and reading is very slow for me,and spelling even the simplest words is difficult. I have been teased about this my entire life, even as an adult a very good friend who is an avid reader and a editor by trade had no idea what dyslexia is and had no patience for me in terms of mis-spellings.

So last year when I was in the very beginning of a personal crisis, I over heard a friend talking about her writing class, I knew I had to do something to begin to feel "ok" again so I asked her where she was taking her writing class, and I took it! It took me until the end of the class to produce something, however just showing up each week was healing my sad soul. When the class was over, I immediately signed up again, this time I was far more productive and at the end of the class, a class mate mentioned Script Frenzy and how I should do it, the entire class broke out into a chant of support and I did Script Frenzy and finished my screenplay! After that incredible experience I signed up for my writing class once again. And now I have started a blog! My class is simply amazing our teacher Kristy is very creative and nurturing and the fellow students are kind,sweet,supportive,and amazingly talented.They are so genuine that I am floored and humbled each class by the diversity of people, projects,and personal experiences that they through their writing are willing to share. My class in a word is amazing! We have a perfect mix of
gender, race, and sexual preference, and everyone is supportive and loves to work on there ideas with glee. This class is Oh "So San Francisco!"

2 comments:

  1. Yay to Suzesb! and yay to our writing teacher: http://www.kristylinbilluni.com/

    I agree that pursuing what you love is the most important action you can take. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete